vrijdag 30 april 2010

While waiting for the replacement parts to arrive (sometime next week I hope) I started cleaning...

First up: removing the valves. I could borrow the necessary tool from my local garage.

The engine looks less frightening once it's been taken apart...

One of the sides. Right hand side has been cleaned using (very!) fine sanding paper.

One of these pistons has been cleaned. Guess which one.

Finally you can tell the front from the back of the piston.

Left combustion chamber has been cleaned.

Made by Tom?

zondag 11 april 2010

The engine

While waiting for replacement parts to arrive I started dismantling the engine. Carburetter overhaul will follow once the engine has been put back together.

Top view, everything still in place.

Cam covers removed.

Some dirt in and around the water pump.

Bottom view, sump removed. The oil pump is on the right.

Timing gear cover removed. I had to grind through the bottom timing chain because the pistons are blocking the crankshaft and you have to turn the top timing chain to be able to remove the cam shafts.

With the cam shafts removed, the cylinder head could be removed and it was somewhat obvious why the pistons are blocked.

The valves. These will be replaced.

One of the pistons (the only one that came out right away, the rest is still soaking...)