zondag 14 november 2010

The brakes

Time to tackle the brakes. It sounds simple: new brake pads and new sealings. The truth was somewhat slower and dirtier.

The brake pads were stuck and broke loose from their holders. Everything is so dirty it needs a very thorough cleaning.

The work ahead...

As you can see on the left, the rubbers are worn. Some dirt inevitably found its way into the calipers but I've decided to try and reuse them anyway.

To remove the pistons from the cylinder block, it's recommended to use pressurized brake fluid, but since there was no more brake fluid in the braking system, I tried pressured air. Some of the pistons needed pusing back and forth a couple of times. I ripped the top rubber part away to get it out of the way.

With a good bearing puller, a fitting socket and a thick washer I separated the parts of the piston. It's the only way to fit the rubber seal.

Soon, I'll be posting overview pictures of the rear brakes.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten